Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Idyllic Idaho

Wouldn't yah know it? The 4 days we are in the Spokane/Coeur d"Alene area were the hottest days all summer long! We have been searching for cooler weather, and everywhere we go, it is warmer than normal. Oh well, at least we can console ourselves that if we were home in Avondale, it would be much, much hotter!

On Labor Day we headed for the idyllic city of Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. The best word that I can think of to describe this lake is a deep Cerulean blue. It grabs your attention the minute you can see even a small glimpse of the lake. This would be paradise to anyone who owned a boat.
I loved the way the blue tarps over the boats reflected in the water at the marina.
We enjoyed walking around the world's largest floating boardwalk, gazing out at the water and the numerous boats tied to the docks. It was a great morning for a lakeside stroll.
We came upon a bronze statue of Mudgy Moose as we walked along the Mudgy Moose trail in Coeur d'Alene. This is based on a children's book that takes place in this city.
I was content with just taking a picture of this cute moose, and then Jerry came along with his bright idea! Never under estimate the brain power of a senior citizen. I had already made the decision that if he asked for a Kleenex after this, it was not going to come from me!
We left Mudgy behind and traveled north to the town of Sandpoint for lunch. Gary said that Mark Furman lives there now, but we sure didn't see him at the beach that day. Maybe he was out sailing. But that is just a guess, I have no conclusive proof that he even owns a boat, or even lives in Sandpoint, for that matter.

We found a miniature Statue of Liberty on Lake Pend Oreille, which is pronounced "PAWN da RAY". Since we have never been to New York City, this was the next best thing.
Silly ladies that we are, we stopped to have our picture taken in front of one of the local shops in Sandpoint. I'm the Zany Zebra, Sandy looks like she is trying to "horn in" on me, and Sherry is just content to sit and smile!
On our way back to the campground, we did a stop at Albeni Falls dam, and Don took a spot on this comfy stone bench, while I did my usual thing of looking around for a view/plant/anything else that I could take a picture of.
I found it!!! The sign on the kiosk pretty much says it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment