Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Beach Banter

Beaches, beaches and more beaches! Oregon beaches are particularly unique, with the huge jagged rocks jutting out of the ocean. When I think I've captured some great images of waves splashing against the rocks, I see another huge wave approaching...and with it the chance to get an ever better picture!

One downside on the coast is the fog, so thick at times it obscures most of the awesome views. When we arrived at Harris Beach on Friday morning, it was thick as pea soup. The sea gull that sat on the post directly in front of our truck seemed impervious to the damp and cold that surrounded him (and us).
The view from the day area at Harris Beach shows rocks wrapped in the blanket of coastal fog.
Later on, the fog lifted a bit. We could actually see farther out into the ocean.
Day two saw us driving north 10 miles up Highway 101. This was the part where we saw about 15 minutes of sunshine! I was lucky enough to get about 5 pictures of the coastline before the sun disappeared.
By the time we got to Whalehead Beach, gray skies loomed over us. This could easily be a black and white picture if it weren't for the yellow of the wild dill weeds lining the pathway down to the beach. The smell from the dill was quite strong as I walked past them.
Wish this picture could be bigger on this post. Then you could actually tell there were birds flying around the rocky cliffs. They aren't spots on the camera lens!
Here is a close up of the lacy flowers of the dill weed. It reminds me of how some 4th of July fireworks shoot out from the middle and then blossom out.
Wild blackberry blossoms frame the rocks in the background.
On Sunday we were blessed with an afternoon of sunshine! I was so glad the weather forecaster was wrong. It was supposed to rain all day Sunday and Monday. The guy near the waves actually had a tripod all set up and I assume he was busily snapping away with his camera.
We climbed up a hill and over a bunch of rocks to reach this tidepool in Harris Beach. I had to keep an eye on the incoming waves, since they were overflowing the rocks nearby. I was on the "hunt" for tidal creatures!
And I found one! A sea cucumber! It was tricky trying to bend over on the slippery rocks to get a close up of him (her?) and not getting blindsided by an incoming wave.
I found a niche behind a large rock where I could sit down and capture waves from different angles.
This is what I saw if I did a half turn on the huge rock that I had perched myself on. The tidal pool where I found my cute cumber is at the bottom right corner.
Monday evening was the last chance for an evening sunset beach picture. Not a lot of color in the sky, but at least it was clear.
Here is Monday evening, looking north....
and the same view on Friday afternoon. Quite a difference, huh?!

No comments:

Post a Comment