Thursday, September 29, 2011

Eureka! We got here!

As we traveled down Highway 101 from Oregon, we came across some very curvy and narrow roads. The picture is lousy, since it was taken from inside the truck, but at least you can see the warning sign. They weren't kidding, either! We took all of these blind corners slowly, sometimes even slower than the posted speed limit.

Besides the blind corners and narrow roads, you have to be constantly on the lookout for people on bikes. This highway is a favorite for the bicyclists working their way down the coast. There isn't much road to share when you have a logging truck coming at you and a biker on the road beside you.
Eureka! We finally got to the KOA. Where at? In Eureka, California of course! In case you are wondering, the picture on the back of the trailer is the Superstition Mountains.
We got into the KOA, set everything up, and I did 3 loads of wash. At home, I don't mind it, but on the road I HATE doing laundry. I really want a Laundry Fairy to pick up my dirty wash at one point, and drop them off, clean, at our next stop. It was a chore that had to be done. The laundry baskets were f-u-l-l. I bet in 2050 someone will have invented disposable clothes, and no longer will travelers have to contend with this sort of thing.


Laundry done, we ate an early dinner, and went off to explore! We headed north, towards Patrick's Point, since that is a place that had seals and sea lions. It was a beautiful, sunny day, quite different from when we left Harris Beach that morning. Then it was drizzling, and Don wasn't looking forward to driving in rain or fog, or both.
Well, we didn't quite make it to Patrick's Point since it was in a California state campground. The charge for day use was $8.50 and we weren't going to pay that just to take a few pictures. I guess you could call us "cheap". I prefer to call it "frugal". There are so many other ways to spend that money. Like on laundry, for instance. That $8.50 would be almost enough for another 3 loads of wash! So, we turned around and headed back south towards Trinidad.

We stopped at a viewpoint near Patrick's Point. Although I could hear a lot of seals barking, I sure couldn't see them. I had to be content with capturing some more photos of the magnificent waves from on top of the cliff.
Mist hovers over the rocks and cliffs after the waves crash.
We made our way to the quaint town of Trinidad and were surprised to see the memorial lighthouse overlooking the bay area. The cold wind hit me as I got out of the truck to take pictures.
Don and I continued to travel south, trying to locate a nice beach so I could get closer to the rocks and ocean.
Almost made it. The cute, narrow lane lined with stately Pampas Grass got progressively narrower. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? That type of thing has happened to us a lot these past 3 days. When it became mostly a one lane road with a very steep drop off on MY side, it was time to turn around!
P.S. I have figured out some "beachisms" as I call them:
1. Don't "coast" through life.
2. Don't make "waves".
3. Don't give in to "pier" pressure.
4. "Shore" up your life with God's word.

No comments:

Post a Comment