Saturday, August 31, 2013

State Fair Weather Friends

We planted ourselves for two nights in Palmer, Alaska, just north of Anchorage. This is where they hold the Alaska State Fair.  After we parked the RV, I noticed a large, fenced off area filled with tents.  It reminded me of Joe Arapaio's tent city, only muckier, colder and no prisoners!
Yep, it was a another overcast day with 60% chance of showers.  None of us were fazed by the weather at this point and we bundled up, prepared for rain.  We are adapting!  Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?  We have become quite proficient at layering!
Here we are!

Right after we got through the gates, a Native Alaskan came past me in traditional ceremonial dress.
His name was Walter and he agreed to have his picture taken with me, even though he was on his way to the tent area where a group of his people were performing.

Along the way, Sherry and I got sidetracked by the beautiful flowers in the garden.  Our hubbies, disinterested, kept on walking.  If it had been a Home Depot full of tools, I'm sure they would have stopped!
Here is a stand that offered Beet Raspberry Juice, among other items.  That sure didn't sound appealing to me.  Maybe you have to be an Alaskan to like that sort of drink.

Wish I could have taken this cute fella home with us, but I know he wouldn't have fit into our suitcase, even if I emptied the whole thing out.
Onward to the farm section, where these huge zucchinis were priced at $3.00 each.  That's enough zucchini  to feed a large family!
I had no idea whether the top knot on this duck was dyed, or it was natural.  Maybe it was a Clairol job gone bad, but the duck wasn't telling.

This is the land of gigantic, enormous vegetables!  The pumpkin weighed over 1200 pounds.  Even cabbages have to be at least 78 lbs. before they can even be entered in the state fair.  I just wonder how you get those veggies out of the garden and over to the fair?
Jerry and Sandy watched the pig races where the competition heated up between Bacon Bits and Miss Piggy.  Those little porkers were fast.
This is something you won't see at any other state fair: reindeer raised by 4 H kids!
Sandy found a new friend as she wandered around.  I think he was a "chocolate mousse".....and now that I think of it, it's time to eat my chocolate bar!  


No comments:

Post a Comment