Sunday, August 25, 2013

Put That In Your Alaskan Pipe (line) and Smoke It

Of course, no visit to Alaska would be complete without a visit to the Alaskan Pipeline.  Jerry wanted to see it up close, and there was a spot in Fairbanks that met his needs.  It had rained all morning long, but that didn't stop us from donning our rain gear and getting out to see the pipeline.
The odd looking device above is called a "pig". They monitor the condition of the pipeline as well as improve the flow of oil.  They are launched and retrieved at pump stations and move along with the oil.  The more sophisticated (maybe they are the highly educated variety) use magnetic fields and ultrasound to detect small changes in the shape and thickness of the walls.  I never knew that pigs were that smart!

Don and Gary stopped to read some of the information signs nearby.

I peeked out from my rain jacket as Don pretends to hold up the steel girder.  Ah, another day in cold and rainy Alaska!
I thought I had gotten to the end of the post, published it and then discovered the picture of Sandy and Jerry had nothing by it.  Rats!  It's not hard to edit a post, but up here, it is extremely hard to get a Wifi signal.  Currently, I am doing updates from Tok, and the Wifi system keeps dropping all of us. I have my laptop sitting on a table under a veranda while Jerry, Sandy and Don are by the laundry room!  It makes life interesting, that's for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment