Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Beach Banter

Cannon Beach may be one of the most photographed beaches in the U.S., mainly because of the iconic Haystack Rock, jutting out of the ocean.  Certainly, it is one of my favorites.  It was one of the few remaining days of summer, and the day was warm and sunny, with only a slight breeze.  We were glad we decided to go here on Sunday, since the next days were overcast and a LOT cooler.

There were a lot of jellyfish washed up on shore.  It was definitely pretty, translucent and dangerous to pick up, so I just squatted (or should I say half squatted?) and aimed my camera at it.
Sandy and Don seem to be in some sort of discussion while..


Jerry is in a world of his own.  I have no idea of what he was absorbed in, but it must have been interesting enough to stop for a few minutes.

As usual, I am taking lots and lots of pictures!  The camera is clicking at a fast rate, good enough to get this seagull in flight with Haystack Rock in the background.  Thank goodness for digital cameras!  If I had to buy film and get it developed, it would cost a fortune.

Time to stop and hand the camera over to Jerry, so he can take our picture with the Nikon.  Sandy was taking pictures of her own on her cell phone.  It’s amazing that her cell phone pictures turn out extraordinarily well.  My cell phone is so old that all I can do is either make or receive calls. I can’t text, take photos, look at the weather or do anything else with it.  Of course, most of the time it is turned off and stuck down in the bottom corner of my purse.  Who cares…..I’ve got my camera!

We switched, now it was time for me to do the same for Sandy and Jerry!
Okay, now I have to try out the water and see if it’s as cold as I think it is.  Nope! It’s perfect to toe dipping!
 Guess I didn’t take into account the “rogue” wave that crept up behind me.  It was faster than I was, and I was glad it didn’t get all of my backside soaked.  Good thing we had a beach towel in the truck.  I sat on that the rest of the day.  Let me tell you, wet, soggy jeans don’t feel so good after a few minutes.

As we traveled south on Highway 101 towards Tillamook, we noticed lots and lots of boats bobbing up and down in the rivers and bays.  It must have been a great day for fishing.  Not only was it the weekend, but there were no white caps on the water and the sun was out.

No visit to the Oregon Coast is complete without a visit to the Tillamook Cheese factory.  At least it is something cheese lovers like the four of us would not want to miss.  Cheese tasting and time to pick up some delicious Garlic and Dill Cheddar cheese.  It is yummy, but something you want everyone in your group to eat at the same time.  The strong garlic flavor overwhelms the dill, but that is something I can live with.

 This is my kind of place to tour:  cheese and ice cream!  I’ll take this any day over beer, whiskey or wine, but that is just me.  Both Jerry and I opted to try one of the flavors offered.  His was Marionberry Pie and mine was the triple chocolate Tillamook Mudslide.  Heaven in a bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment