Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Almost busted by the TSA!

On our last night together in Alaska, all of us went out for supper at a nice restaurant.  Should have been an easy thing to do, right?  Well, it's a lot harder when you're in a 31' RV driving around Anchorage and all the one way streets there.  We had decided to go to Humpy's which is in the downtown area.  Finally found it after many, many trips around the block and then we couldn't find a spot anywhere near the restaurant big enough for the camper.  As Don drove around, Sherry and Sandy looked up restaurants in one of the books while I tried to figure out which way we were going and which way we had to turn.  Besides me as the navigator, Don had two more back seat drivers.....Sherry looking up directions on her phone and Sandy also looking at a map.  We were all giving input!  We'd find a restaurant and then discover that there was no parking for RVs.  Finally, after an hour and a half, and much laughing, we found one.  I think we passed the Fred Meyer store on Highway One at least 4 times as we circled around!  I know why Don ordered a drink when we got there.
Yep, it was rainy again as we checked our camper back into the rental place. Time to head home.

Jerry and Sandy looked out the window at the Anchorage Airport and saw the sky finally clearing up.  
Couldn't it have done that earlier in the day?
Jerry, Sandy, Don and I had a lot of time to kill at the airport.  Our plane didn't leave until 10 PM and we couldn't even check our bags through until after 7 PM since Frontier has only one flight departing from Anchorage each day.  There was no one at the Frontier counter!

 At the security point, I noticed the sign with the prohibited items, one being the popular Alaskan Ulu.  No problem, I thought since I have never owned a switchblade knife or a taser and had none of the other prohibited items in our carry on luggage......at least I thought I didn't.

A little bit later, I went looking for my Kindle.  As I looked for it, I found that I had not one, but two Ulus in our carry on luggage!  They had been packed in our large bags, but as we re-arranged items in the morning, I put the gifts we bought into the carry ons!  Boy, I would have been busted by the TSA people, be labeled as a terrorist and might have been carted off to the Anchorage jail!  This is one time being forgetful paid off. I quickly put them back into the large suitcase which would be checked through.  
I don't know if Don would have flown to Alaska in the winter to visit me in jail. Do you think they would let us use Skype????

1 comment:

  1. You forgot to mention driving on the airplane road.......setting off the crossing bells.....

    ReplyDelete