Sunday, February 21, 2021

"This is for the Birds"

 How many times have you heard that expression?  The connotation "This is for the birds" usually comes with a negative experience or feeling.  However, this is NOT the case for this post.

Although I don't consider myself an avid bird watcher, I have enjoyed hearing their sweet songs and capturing them in photos.  For instance, the Vermillion Flycatcher is a tiny, petite bird that I have only seen in one area during our many years of traveling across the states.  Many years ago I saw one at Buckskin State Park, which is also situated along the Colorado River, a few miles from River Island State Park.  This year, there were numerous Vermillion Flycatchers flitting around our site.  Out came my camera with the long range lens.  Getting halfway close to these tiny birds was not an option.

By comparing the size of the grated grill to this small creature allows you to comprehend how diminutive it actually is.

Here is a further shot of the Flycatcher while it's perched on a Mesquite tree branch.

The other petite bird that caught my eye was the hummingbird that was flitting from blossom to blossom on the early blooming Palo Verde tree.  While it's not rare at all and we have them in our home garden, they are still fun to watch. A long range wasn't needed for these pictures, but I made sure the setting was set to "sports" so the camera would take dozens of shots within 30 seconds.





No comments:

Post a Comment