Monday, February 22, 2021

Take a Hike Part I

We were hoping there would be a plethora of hiking trails accessible from the campground.  Unfortunately, that was not the case.  Basically there was one trail that started by the boat ramp and then broke off into different paths.

Here are Doris and Jerry stopping to check out Wedge Hill trail.  It overlooks the Colorado River and also over the campground depending on the path that is chosen.


Off we go for our first hike with Don in the lead.  There were quite a few steps leading up the hill.  I swear the cement ones towards the top were designed for men at least 6 feet tall!  They certainly weren't made with short women in mind.  But I had to be thankful that there were steps and I didn't have to crawl over huge boulders.

Doris got to the first lookout and pointed out the cave across from her.
Of course she had to check it out while I took pictures and documented the small excursion.  The cave turned out to be very shallow.  A bit of a disappointment for Doris but she was happy she went to see what was inside.

Hiking up to different points gave us exquisite views of the Colorado River.  Did you notice the change in Doris' clothes?  No, she didn't shed any layers along the way.  We did this short hike at least twice.  The second time there were clouds to enhance the pictures. This view looks more to the north, with Parker Dam in the distance.

Same hill, but this view looks more south and west.  Beyond the bend at the left is Buckskin State Park.

On one of the last days I finally got the nerve to climb the hill and take a path to a newly installed bench overlooking the park. Doris and Jerry helped me up and back.  They had walking sticks and all I took along was my Nikon. There was a bit of trepidation on my part as we made our way over very narrow paths.  Guess it doesn't help that I have a fear of heights. Hmm..😒

Don and Sandy decided to stay put, so they took pictures from the campsite.  I think they were the smart ones! 

Do NOT back up one more step Doris!! 
This was the view from the bench looking over River Island.  It was a nice little park, but with small mountains on both sides of it, you can easily understand why there was little no cell reception.

No comments:

Post a Comment