Saturday, September 29, 2018

Albuquerque Rocks!

Yes, it does, in more ways than one!  We meandered out to the Petroglyph National Monument this morning while it was still cool.  Yesterday afternoon it was in the mid 90's, and walking around in the desert didn't appeal to me. I  have become a wimp (wise, informed, mature person).  At least, that is MY definition, and I'm sticking to it.
The park is relatively new, being established in 1990 after local people pushed to have this unique area protected.  There are thousands and thousands of petroglyphs that have been found along the mesa, created by the ancestors of the Pueblo people.  They have deep spiritual significance to the Pueblo, Navajo and Apache people. The visitor center is in one area, and the petroglyphs are located separately.  We chose to explore the Boca Negra Canyon nearby.

Basically, the trail takes you up the hillside, past huge boulders made of volcanic rock.  In some places, there are cement steps and handrails, although I was still unsure of myself and didn't make it to the top.  It was hard keeping my balance with my camera hanging off my neck while I leaned over to grab on to a rock.  My grandchildren would have up to the top in mere minutes!

So, I settled for the viewing the etched rocks that were closer which didn't require me to be half mountain goat. Worked for me! 
The ancestors of the Pueblo people used sandstone hammer stones and chisels to remove the thin layer of desert varnish on the rocks. This exposed the lighter color of the basalt.
Even today, scientists have been unable to correctly determine the meaning of all the images.  The rock below has a Macaw.  Researchers knew that these tribes had connections to other tribes living much farther south, into Mexico, and they traded their items for the brightly colored Macaws.
I knew what the one below referred to!  Watch out for the snakes!
I came across a cute little desert lizard who seemed to be giving me the stink eye while I took his picture.  He had same colors as the rock he's sitting on, and I loved the pattern along his back.
Don, with his bum knee, waited patiently in one spot while I explored further.  This is his "Are you finished yet?" stance. 
Time to go, it looks like he is heading back to the truck!

No comments:

Post a Comment