Sunday, June 22, 2014

Scoping out the Sculptures

If you are ever in Loveland, Colorado, take time to take a walk around the Benson Sculpture Park.  It's located in a neighborhood behind Lake Loveland, and is there is no admission.  Every year, more pieces are added to the collection.  Even though we were here about 4 years ago, we still enjoyed walking around the park.
The park has been here since 1985 and currently there are 139 pieces of sculpture located here.  I'm not a lover of modern art, so sculptures, such as the lady below, are more appealing to me than one that I can make no sense of!
Had to post at least one horse picture since two of my granddaughters are "horse crazy".  This sculpture was on two posts high above our heads.
Don was stopping to take a sip of water as I took a picture of the blackbirds (also sculptures).  Boy, they sure looked real, especially at a distance.  At least we didn't have to listen to them squawk at each other.
The one of the octopus is named "Pacific Giant".  At the top, it has a lobster clutched in one of it's tentacles.  This was added to the park in 2012 and is one of my favorites here.  The details were amazing.

The one below is called "The Bell Keepers".
The "Circle of Life" is an older piece, and was added in 1998.  If you look closely, there are 3 eagles contained within this bronze sculpture.
Towards the end of our walk, I found this man of steel, even though he wasn't Superman.  I wondered if he ever was a participant in an Ironman event?  He was a man of few words.....or should I say he was the silent type?  
"The Potato Man" is so realistic, that when I posted a picture of him on Facebook, it asked me to "tag" him as a friend!  


1 comment:

  1. I'd love to see these in person. The old man is my favorite of what you showed. His hands look so real. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete