Monday, August 1, 2011

Lisa's Advice: "Take a Hike"




Our daughter, Lisa, joined us on our hike to Cub Lake on Saturday. She was our motivator for the day, and assured us we could make the 5.0 round trip hike. Cub Lake starts out at an elevation of 8080 ft. and there is a 540 foot elevation increase, which doesn't sound like much, but it sure made us huff and puff at times. It's like climbing a 54 story building at that elevation! "Easy peazy" for Lisa, who had just done a 14er on Monday with Kim, our daughter-in law. For us older folks, it was more of a challenge. I'm just thankful we can still get out and enjoy the Colorado mountains.

Here we are, at the start of the hike, our hopes high and CamelBaks full of water. The three of us were amazed at how many people we saw on this trail with only one water bottle. By the end of the hike, Don and I both had drained our CamelBaks dry. They held a total of 150 ounces of water!
The hike to Cub Lake starts out in the meadows by Morraine Park. There weren't as many flowers here as our hike on Thursday, but a nice fat beaver crossed the trail right in front of Don and Lisa near this spot. I only saw the back half of him and his tail before he disappeared into the brush. Thus, no picture of an eager beaver. : (
However, I did catch this busy bee literally diving into the pollen laden Mariposa Lily. He was so busy that he didn't even realize that I had taken his picture.
Both Lisa and I stopped to take a picture of the hiking path that led us through this grove of huge aspen trees and ferns. It was nice and cool in this part of the hike.
We arrived at Cub Lake, which is noted for its yellow lily pads during the month of July and August. Most of the lake was covered with them. Views of Sprague Mountain provide a beautiful backdrop for this picturesque place.
Don and I posed by one of the boulders near the lake. I'm not strangling him...just trying to keep my balance!
It was easier when Lisa and I sat down on the boulder and braced ourselves on the log by our feet!
"Hey! Wait for me!!! You're disappearing into the bushes! I only stopped for a couple of seconds to take a picture!"
They are still ahead of me, but at least I'm within shouting distance of them. Don and Lisa seem to be more focused on going down the rocky trail.
Towards the end of the hike, we once again pass through meadows festooned in lush grasses and yellow Coneflowers.
Almost back to the trailhead! The path here is flat and not as rocky as the last mile of the hike. Somehow, it always is easier to go back down and we made much better time coming out. Lisa and Don were motivated by the Braunschweiger sandwiches waiting back at the truck for them. I passed on that offer and stuck with my roast beef on rye bread. At least I didn't have to sit between them while they were eating!
Boy, this was a time when I wished I had hiking sandals! Lisa cooled her feet off in the cold, mountain stream water while Don and I watched. On the other hand, I was glad for my closed toe tennis shoes because I stumbled over rocks more than once. What I lack in coordination I make up for in determination!

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever figured out that these hikes wouldn't take quite as long if you didn't take the camera??? :-) Great pics, as usual.

    ReplyDelete