Sunday, June 12, 2011

IT'S JUNE AND I'M FREEZING...



If I were back home, I'd probably be sweating during the middle of the day, but this was definitely not the case yesterday! Below is a view from one of our stops driving through Rocky Mountain National Park. This would explain why I was freezing, even with a jacket on.
But let me start from the beginning of the day, when we met up with Kim, our daughter-in-law. She had taken up all 5 of our grandchildren to camp out for the weekend in Glacier Basin. She is one brave lady! After we got to Glacier Basin, we went for a hike to Sprague Lake. You can see the guys (Don and Nate)engaging in some "man talk".
We came across a young moose in our hike,
and then across a small herd of elk. They were on one side of the small stream, and we were on the other. I wasn't going to get any closer, since the doe had a little one tagging along behind her.
The baby elk still had spots, and I considered myself lucky to see one that young.
Oh,oh!!! The two oldest granddaughters are coming towards me, and there are snowballs in their hand! Even grandmothers holding cameras are not immune to these two pranksters! Don't ask me why both Hailey and Tatum are wearing baseball caps to the side. I have no idea if this is a new trend, or just something silly they were doing! Is it now the "hip" thing to do???
After lunch at the campsite, we headed up the Trail Ridge Road to the Alpine Visitor Center. There was still a lot of snow up in those parts. I was glad I was the one taking the pictures and not driving!
Kim and 2 of the grandchildren are doing their best to hold back the wall of snow. It was a hard job, but someone had to do it!
Part of the camping group paused to stop for a picture. The snow bank was 15 to 20 feet high, making them look rather small in comparison. And boy, was it ever COLD up there!
Ella caught on quick when they started digging into the snowbank and making snowballs.
Kim got her revenge on Kyla while Theresa looked on.
On our way back down, we stopped to make a snowman. Kim and Ella look at their "masterpiece".
Cute little feller, isn't he? That is about the best you can do when there are no mittens or gloves around. At least he has a lot of personality to make up for his lack of height!
Good grief!!! Not again?! More snow means more snowballs coming my way! And by the looks on their faces, they aren't one bit sorry!
Hailey and Tatum took a moment to gaze out over the mountainsides. I, for one, was thankful that they found some other form of entertainment. They weren't doing the "Let's get grandma" game anymore!
Cold, very cold, out here, but I still managed to get the 3 of them to smile. I think at this point, their feet and hands were pretty much numb. I guess when you are young, you don't worry about trouncing through the snow in sandals.
Kyla got stuck in the snow and Tatum was being a good cousin by trying to pull her out.
This is what happens when you laugh too hard!
When we all climbed back into Kim's vehicle, all the girls were complaining about how cold their feet were. Guess next time they'll wear socks and shoes. Or maybe not....

3 comments:

  1. You know, the WHOLE time I am reading this I'm thinking - "who on earth wears sandals in the snow???" That is just odd! That snow bank was huge, how does it NOT fall over??? I'm a desert rat, I don't know about things like that!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can certainly relate to the "snow" in the RV park! So sorry we are missing it.....NOT! I think I still have some in the screens - course, it is better than "stink-bugs"!! As to sandals and shorts in the snow - only people who live there would be silly enough to do that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You take some of the most incredible shots!! I've told you before you remind me of me...every action, reaction must be shot...it's just the way of "shutter buggin"! To see that baby with spots is truly rare...love that shot. marilyn

    ReplyDelete