Monday, June 12, 2017

Lonesome Laramie

After touring the prison, we decided to go to the downtown area of Laramie.  I think there were more people at the prison than all of their downtown area!  It's a very pretty and well preserved town, but how in the world can the businesses survive without customers?
 For over 60 years people in Laramie would say, "Meet me at the clock" and everyone would know what they were talking about.
Since Don is not enamored of window shopping, the "task" was left to Doris and me.  I was so glad that she was along as we wandered through the stores, eventually coming across this antique stove and cute stuffed moose.  He reminded me of Bullwinkle.
 I think one of the most beautiful buildings in Laramie is the local Catholic church.  The stonework is absolutely amazing.
I always notice the old paintings on the buildings, like this one for Chesterfield cigarettes.  I wonder, do they still make them any more?  In the 50 's and 60's, they were very popular.  Now, if you live in Colorado, they have been replaced by marijuana joints.  
 We found Don still sitting in the truck, waiting for us.  Time for some coffee at the local Coal Creek Coffee shop where the 3 of us shared a small piece of coffee cake.

The last stop was by the old Laramie train depot.  That was closed for a special event, but we did get to take pictures of the old snow train once used in this part of the country.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable day.  We had a history lesson at the territorial prison, Doris and I spent a little time in the downtown shops and enjoyed the scenery of southern Wyoming.  This is a view of the Snowy Mountain Range as we drove back to Colorado.

No comments:

Post a Comment