Monday, July 20, 2015

Forbes Fauna and Flora

Even though our visit was short, I wound up with a lot of pictures!  Deer and elk roam freely in Forbes Park since there is no hunting allowed.  I wonder if they realize how lucky they are?

On our first evening with Rob and Gay, we went driving with them on some of the dirt roads in the area.  The mother deer and her fawn seemed to be staring right back at me as I kept snapping away.
But the young buck paid no attention to me because he was so engrossed in eating the new, tender and juicy Aspen leaves.
Avid hunters would be ecstatic if they came across herds of elk like those below.  Of course, when it is hunting season, the elk seem to disappear(at least that is what I've heard).  I bet these elk don't venture outside Forbes Park during that time of the year.

Both Gay and I were delighted at all the different kinds of wildflowers.  One field not only had lots of  flowers, but an abundance of Monarch butterflies sipping the delicious nectar.
Wouldn't you love to have a backyard with a view like this with the mountains in the distance?

Rob and Gay led us to the oldest Limber Pine in Colorado.  Boy, it was huge!  The barbed wire fence is up to keep out the free range cattle, and it was up to Rob and Don to find a place where we could either crawl under or over it so we could get closer to this humongous tree.
 We decided it was a good place for the four of us to have our picture taken.  We managed to all smile despite the fact that was a mighty uncomfortable spot for us to sit down.  I sure could have used a pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment