Monday, August 20, 2012

Midwest Meanderings

Willy Nelson was "On the Road Again" with me (at least in my mind) as we headed east and north on Sunday.   Our destination this time is Algoma, Wisconsin, which we plan to arrive on Wednesday, August 22nd.  It will take us 4 days to get there, since we travel between 300-350 miles a day.  Yes, I know it is considered "slow" by most of the people reading my blog, but at this stage of our life, we have lots of time!  That is one of the great aspects of being retired (besides not having to go to work).   Half of our traveling the past two days has been on Interstate 80, through all of Nebraska and most of Iowa.  We got to see a LOT of corn fields.

We stopped at the Windmill State Recreation Area on Sunday night.  It's located in Gibbon, Nebraska.  Even though it is just off on I-80, the traffic noise wasn't bad at all and we had our choice of sites in the campgrounds.
Don was registering while I hopped out of the truck to take pictures.  Taking pictures of the campgrounds and our sites helps us to remember where we were at a certain point in time.  I also keep a written journal of our travels.  At our age, we need all the help we can get! 
There was a nice little lake and beach at this state park.  I guess it was too late in the day, or maybe just too late in the season for anyone to be swimming here.

I expected to see lots of cornfields as we drove through the heartland of America, but was surprised to see an abundance of huge windmills.  There were a plethora of them along the Iowa highway.
Monday's stop was in Altoona, Iowa.  Altoona is a suburb east of Des Moines and the RV park was no where near the interstate.  We drove on some small, hilly county roads to finally get to Griff's Valley View park.  
No leveling needed here!  The cement pad made it a piece of cake to get the 5th wheel set up for the night.  Behind us is a huge grassy area, and beyond that is the huge area for the horses.
I stopped by the corral by the entrance and spotted 3 horses by the watering trough.  I just had to take their picture so I could send them to our two "horse crazy" granddaughters. 
Then, as I began taking pictures, one horse peeked around the enclosure.  That prompted both him and the other horse to start sauntering in my direction.

All of a sudden, another horse appeared!  I hadn't even said a word!  The only audible sound was coming from the shutter on the camera.
Two of them decided to get a much closer look as they hung their heads over the railing.  I guess I passed the "horse test" since they didn't put their ears back and snort at me!  After all, I was wearing new Sketchers on my feet and had on a clean pair of Levi capri pants!  I'm sure they were impressed!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like some pretty country. Wish we were there instead of here...... ;-(
    S & J

    ReplyDelete