Saturday, June 2, 2012

Other Fossils

It was time that our grandchildren discovered that there are other fossils in this hemisphere besides us!  I know we are "older than dirt" to them, but a trip to the Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument proved that we are young by comparison to the fossils found here!



 Tatum and Nate wanted to become Junior Rangers, so they had to fill out a book with various activities before they could earn their badges.  Here they are looking up things in the various drawers holding fossils so they can complete the Bingo page.
Don and Ella were the first to get to the huge petrified Redwood tree stump.  It's amazing to me that there were actually Redwoods here in Colorado, rather than just in California!
Nate and Tatum were diligent in filling out their books.  Tatum had to do more activities than he did because of the age difference.  The Forest Service booklet was well done, and included mazes, things that they had to find in the park, questions, and word puzzles.  It kept them both interested.  We heard no complaints of "I'm bored" or "Why do we have to be here?".
As usual, Ella posed for a picture.  She's always telling me, "Grandma, take a picture and put it in my book so I can read it."  I make up a scrapbook every year for each of my grandchildren and she thinks I can get her pictures into a book almost at the drop of a hat!  A true optimist!

Tatum, Nate and Kim walk along the Petrified Forest Loop Trail, looking for various objects.
Success!  Tatum and Nate are sworn in as Junior Rangers!
Happy Campers!  Badges and a certificate for each of them!
Even Ella got a sticker for her Wee Wasps booklet.  Instead of putting it on the book, she promptly applied it to her shirt!



No comments:

Post a Comment